Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Night Ruminations

Tonight is probably the last time my blog-buddy Danifred is going to host Friday Night Leftovers wherein bloggers can blog whatever random "leftovers" they didn't blog about yet that week. Check out other blogger's leftovers HERE.

Birthday Stuff:
a. New sneakers. I nearly forgot how nice it feels to have arch support. My old N.ewbalances were much in need of a replacement. On Wednesday I went to the mall with Em and DH. I was able to purchase new sneakers AND new sandals for less $$$ than I had planned to spend on just sneakers. AWESOME! I wore my new sneakers all day today....ahhhhh sweet comfort!

b. DH surprised me with "Percy Jackson: The Demigod Files" by Rick Riordan. Super cool! I didn't know there were other Percy Jackson related books. I'm in the middle of book 4 (of 5) and am loving the series! Looking forward to another fun read!

c. Rockin' bracelet. Yesterday we received a package in the mail from my sister Laurel. Included were birthday gifts for DH and I and some cute things for Emma as well. As Laurel recently returned from a trip to Spain (with some of her high school students on an exchange program visit) all of our gifts were purchased in Spain. Check out my awesome GREEN (my favorite!) bracelet. LOVE IT!



Yearly Eye Exam:
The bad---at my eye exam yesterday I was informed that I have an astigmatism in my left (already "lazy") eye. I didn't know you could "get" an astigmatism...I thought it was something you're born with. However, according to the eye doc astigmatisms are common occurrences "as people age." Gee, Mother Nature...happy birthday to me. ;)

Overall it's not that big a deal. Though my thicker contact lens has taken some getting used to.

The good---I always use my prepaid prescription card to purchase a year supply of my contact lenses. (I wear the disposable type that need to be replaced every 2 weeks.) I like the convenience of having the year supply on hand. In addition, I like that with buying a year supply, I always get a rebate. This year in addition to my year supply and rebate, my doctor's office had the perk of a FREE pair of sunglasses.... Thus, with my year refill of contacts I got a free pair of Vera Bradley sunglasses with lovely case! Price tag said $139. This is a definite upgrade from my usual $12 T.arget shades. Sweet!




Me in new shades.



VB glasses and case.



I didn't get to choose my case, but I love this teal/brown print.


Blog Friends:
Today Em and I met my blog friend Katie and her cute-as-pie twins for a playdate. I'll give more details in a future post (including pictures---Katie is a wonderful photographer!) A great time was had by all, and I believe future playdates are in store.... yay!

In 1 week I am going to a girl's-day-out lunch in Georgia. I'll be meeting blog friends Lynn and Kym in person for the first time. SUPER COOL!

That concludes this session of Friday Night Leftovers. Thanks, Danifred for being a swell hostess!

8 comments:

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Wow... Look at you styling in those new sunglasses! Gorgeous! And I love that bracelet too!

Rick Riordan has a new series starting in May. Egyptian gods this time.

Isn't it fun when you get physical reminders of getting older? I really should have coloured my hair back in February... now me and my grey hairs have to wait until the end of May.

Sounds like you have had a good week!

Kristin said...

LOVE those sun glasses!

I've only read the first Percy Jackson book but I loved it and can't wait to read the rest.

Sounds like a really great week.

Anonymous said...

I love the bracelet and the shades! Super cute on you!

I have an eye appointment in a couple weeks, and am currently in a 3-week moratorium on contacts so that my corneas can un-warp and an accurate prescription can be issued. Yuck.

Danifred said...

Ohhhh, love those sunglasses! Cute, cute, cute!

And that bracelet seriously rocks. I love beaded jewelry!

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Stopped over from FNL. Love your blog!

Rockin' bracelet for sure. Rockin' shades too!

Now I want to go shopping. Thanks.

(or take a trip to Spain - even better.)

Laurel said...

Apparently with old age you managed to block-out/forget your younger sister telling you of how she surprisingly acquired astigmatisms in both of her eyes by about the age of 25!... The new contacts aren't so bad once you get used to them.

I'm glad you got the package and liked the bracelet... Do you know how hard it is to find shades of green jewelry in Spain that blondes can wear (since most people there have more olive complexions)? I looked long and hard for that bracelet for you and really had to fight with myself to still give it to you and not keep it for myself! ;) Glad you're enjoying it! Hope your birthday was great! I love the new sunglasses too!

Carrie27 said...

Love the glasses and the case! Wish we had eye insurance, it was a fortune to get new glasses.

Booo hiss for meeting in GA after I leave. Going to go pout now.

Shelli said...

I love, love, love the shades!!

I need a new pair myself. Maybe I should start shopping.