Saturday, April 11, 2009

Show and Tell--Birthday Letter


Show and Tell

Click to see what everyone else is bringing to Show & Tell this week.


As I didn't ask his permission, I hope he doesn't mind...

For this week's Show & Tell I have cut/pasted an email message my Dad sent me on my birthday. This year my birthday happened to fall on the Monday after spring break. (As you can imagine---any "Monday" after an extended break from school is a real pain in the butt treat for teachers, as we try to get our students back on track. Much of the day was spent reviewing "rituals and routines" with my 8th graders.)

I am sharing the message below because I am honored to have such a wonderful man in my life. I pray that DH and I are as "effective" and marvelous at parenting our sweet Emma as I truly feel my parents were for me.

What follows is my Dad's sweet message...



Subject: H B D 2 U

Date: 4/6/2009 12:33:24 P.M.

From: Dad

Dearest Alana,
As you return to the classroom, hopefully refreshed by your Spring Break, I know that you are looking
forward to that day, a couple of months from now, when you'll commence a break of a longer duration.

If today's students are anything like those of us of comparable age in the
late 1950's, I'm certain that
today was anything but routine. It was probably more like a come-down day, trading the warmth and
sunshine of the out doors for the for the closeness of the classroom. By the time you read this, that
portion of your day will, hopefully, be behind you.

I expect that your little Miss is somewhat excited regarding your "Big
Day," but that her enthusiasm
isn't the off-the-wall high she attains on September 17th.

As your Mother and I have an out of town meeting tonight, depending upon the time we return, we may
not be able to call before tomorrow. Rest assured that our thoughts are with you as you celebrate the 34th
anniversary of that wonderful day when we first gazed upon your pretty little face, noted that you had the
recommended number of fingers and toes, and had the pleasure of holding, cuddling, and kissing the
precious bundle of joy we'd been waiting so long for.

I hope that your evening is special, with an adoring daughter, on her best behavior, who fully cooperates
at bedtime.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY and much love,

Dad

16 comments:

Michelle said...

Awww, that is so sweet. You are so lucky to have such loving parents. Something that I lack, sadly. You are blessed!

AnotherDreamer said...

That is so sweet of him. It sounds like you have a wonderful father :)

Anonymous said...

How neat! And I especially like that he hoped Emma would cooperate for bedtime - I think that is every mother's birthday wish!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Your dad's note is making me cry. What a wonderful father.

Candice said...

Very touching, it sounds like he is the best dad! I hope you had a great Birthday.

Erika said...

How sweet! I hope you are able to treasure all of the moments with your dad! Hope all of those well wishes are came true on your birthday...

From one teacher (that heads back from spring break on Monday) to another bless you for the good you do in the lives and teaching of your students!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Oh my... power blinking here! What a sweet birthday greeting! I love the part about the recommended number of fingers and toes. :)

Kristin said...

Oh wow...that is such an incredible note.

..al said...

Having thoughtful parents is such a blessing.

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

That must make you feel good. I just finished reading The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan. What an endearing story about a daughter and her father.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing message from your father--not only that he feels those things, as I'm sure many fathers do, but that he can articulate them and say them to you. What a great dad.

leahjane8 said...

What a great letter - that father/daughter stuff gets me every time. Good luck with your students this week - as a teacher, I know what this time of year is like!

Billy said...

What a lovely note from your father :-)
And happy birthday!

Liv said...

Ah, man that is so sweet. I love it. Thank you for sharing!

Beautiful Mess said...

Awwww I love it! Your dad is amazing!

Kristin said...

Aww, I love your Dad! Brings back memories of him being my "second father" growing up!